What a wall of feedback to walk into after leaving the ladies loo!
The woman who delivered this piece of information with a loud voice and tone that needed to be heard by people within the vicinity, was clearly outspoken and wanted to give me her opinion, without me actually asking for it.
This happens to me quite a lot.
Let me Set the Scene…
This was back in 2012, I had been a speaker for a few years and it was my first conference with over 100 people, happening in North Wales for the hospitability, food and drink and local businesses in the area.
My presentation at the time was all about Social Media, where I played a video to give context to what I was about to share. The soundtrack to that video was “Right Here, Right Now” by Fat Boy Slim and I became known as the Fat Boy Slim speaker. The AV guy turned it up and the music spilled out into the rest of the hotel.
I even remember what I was wearing on the day.
Floral jacket, cream top and black trousers with Black Hologram (Limited Edition) Addidas Shell Toe, the same trainers I wore to London and won my first £50,000 contract.
Anyway, back to this statement.
“I thought you would be shit…”
You don’t look much, she carried on… I thought you would be dull and not really know anything.
I stood in awe whilst witnessing this person throwing her opinions, judgement and condensing tone at me, later to find out that she was in “marketing” also.
There are a few lessons in this journal…
- Don’t judge a book by its cover – In this conference, I was an unknown headline speaker brought in by the Business Engagement & European Project Manager of a Welsh College, where I worked for as a Digital Marketing Lecturer. I do know I look young and have many people compliment me on “starting my business when I was in nappies” or saying “you don’t look old enough”. I’ve also had over the years… “you’re not just a pretty face” and someone has even said to me “you’fre lying, you’ve never done all of that”.
- Recognise someone ability – As bold as this person was, it took a lot to come up to someone she didn’t know, saw as a threat and in a round about way say that you were really good. When you see someone delivering and they have wowed you, go and tell them, because they will have worked exceptionally hard to do what they have just done.
- Show up unapologetically you – I’ve never been one for heels, skirts or what could be classes as the normal female professional attire. Wearing my Shell Toe enabled me to move the way I needed to, helped me feel comfortable in my own skin and helped me understand that it doesn’t matter what I wear, what matters is how I deliver and for me to be the best version of me. I need to be me.
- Receive feedback in all the ways it is given – Feedback is exactly that. I listened to what she had to say and thanked her for her feedback. In the next breath, I asked if she would be so bold as to create a video testimonial for me to say the exact words I’ve shared with you… “I though you would be shit…”
- People will underestimate you – When you are not normal (as in looks) or don’t fit in, you may not get the breaks or opportunities as others do, but when you do, show them how amazing you are.
This year (2023), I’ve spoken at a few conferences, business events, facebook groups, inside mastermind groups and memberships. One of the most recent places was a Mastermind Group and after I had finished, there was a break for the delegates to freshen up, grab a coffee and chat with others in the room before we carried on.
He said, she said…
The leader of this Mastermind said to me… “Well, I didn’t expect that… I actually though you wouldn’t be very good…”. I chuckled and he replied… “Why do you laugh?”.
I said, “it’s not the first time someone has underestimated me and thought I’m a young girl, whose only just learnt marketing from my bedroom and don’t really know what I’m talking about”. And instantly, I remembered this lady who said… “I thought you would be shit…”
He replied… I didn’t mean it like that, I just didn’t expect much. I made loads of notes, my team did too and think we need to work with you ourselves.
“At the very moment when people underestimate you is when you can make a breakthrough” ― Germany Kent
Being underestimated is usually based on part of your personality type and happens when someone is perceived to be younger than the others or has not had a chance to concretely proven themselves, yet.
Know that not everyone sees you…
And this is OK.
It means you need to work a little harder to show your difference, keep showing up and ask for opportunities. Most importantly, at all costs, show them what you have to offer.
I’ve been in business for 17 years this year and I have lost a lot of work due to not looking the part, people’s assumptions and opinions of me, including people thinking I haven’t achieved what I have to the point where I even started doubting myself.
However, when you keep going because it’s part of who you are and you know what you have to say is worth saying you start to get different comments.
At an international event I spoke at this year (Bermuda), a member of the cohort had heard me speak on Zoom 6 months prior. This time, we were in the same room and she said…
“You’ve surpassed my expectations; I want to work with you” and so we are…
A review I got from the conference in Wales…
“Amanda is a master at her craft. I first met her when I sat in the audience and watched her give a spellbinding presentation about the types and benefits of social media – and was so impressed by the practicality and depth of her knowledge that I immediately asked her to develop and deliver a series of two day master-classes on Digital Marketing and Social as part of the programme portfolio for my Executive Education.
Those sessions went on to become some of the most highly rated and popular of our courses and several participants went on to engage Amanda personally as their Marketing Coach – with fantastic results.” – Bangor Management Centre
The moral of the story is…
Be you, unapologetically.
Because it nourishes you and brings you opportunities you never knew you could receive.
People will underestimate you, assume things about you, give opinion and throw judgements even when they have no clue who you are, you’re experience or what you stand for.
So, you might as well be the version that keeps you true, your values real and helps you find your edge.
Feel free to share any feedback, stories or interesting opinions you have received by leaving a comment below.
In a world where business often revolves around profits and competition, there’s a rising wave of entrepreneurs seeking to build ventures that align with their core values.
These spiritual entrepreneurs like you and I, are on a mission to create businesses that not only thrive financially but also nourish their souls.
Staying True to Yourself
Here’s why staying true to your values as a spiritual entrepreneur is not just essential but transformational:
- Authenticity and Integrity: Your values are the foundation of your business. When you align your venture with your core beliefs, you radiate authenticity and integrity. This authenticity resonates with customers and partners who share similar values, creating a strong and loyal community.
- Sustainability: A values-driven business often has a sustainability focus. Whether it’s adopting eco-friendly practices, supporting local communities, or reducing waste, such businesses contribute positively to the planet and society, leaving a lasting impact beyond profits.
- Fulfilment and Purpose: Pursuing a business that reflects your values can be deeply fulfilling. It provides a sense of purpose that transcends the pursuit of financial success. This sense of purpose fuels your motivation and resilience in the face of challenges.
- Wellness and Balance: The hustle and grind of the business world can take a toll on your physical and mental health. When you operate in alignment with your values, you’re more likely to create a work-life balance that promotes wellness and reduces stress.
- Positive Impact: Spiritual entrepreneurs are often driven by a desire to make a positive impact on the world. By following your values, you can design products or services that address societal needs, contributing to a better future.
- Longevity: A values-based business is more likely to stand the test of time. Trends may come and go, but core values remain constant. This longevity not only benefits you but also the legacy you leave behind.
So, how can you ensure you don’t lose yourself in the hustle of business while staying aligned with your values?
- Clarify Your Values: Take time to reflect on your core values. What truly matters to you? What principles guide your life? Once you have clarity, integrate these values into your business’s mission and vision.
- Set Boundaries: Establish clear boundaries between work and personal life. Prioritize self-care and make time for activities that nourish your spirit, such as meditation, yoga, or spending time in nature.
- Regular Self-Reflection: Periodically assess whether your business practices align with your values. Be open to adjusting when needed to stay on your path.
- Seek Support: Surround yourself with a community of like-minded individuals. Join the Magnetic Marketing for Spiritual Entrepreneurs Fb Group and connect with mentors, peers or a group that share your values. They can provide guidance, inspiration, and a sense of belonging.
- Practice Mindfulness: Incorporate mindfulness practices into your daily routine. Mindfulness can help you stay present, reduce stress, and make decisions in alignment with your values.
You have the power to create a business that not only prospers but also brings you joy, purpose, and a sense of fulfilment.
What are your Core Values?
Embracing your values and staying true to yourself on this entrepreneurial journey is the key to building a business that feels good for you and makes a positive impact on the world.
It’s not just a business; it’s a sacred journey of self-discovery and transformation!
Leave your top 3 values as a comment or comment over on our Instagram Account.
A word of the year has become an exercise taken up by those wanting to be intentional and on purpose with what they are looking at achieve and moving into the next cycle.
Whether your year ends on the traditional date on 31st of December, Solstice, Equinox or on Chinese New Year celebrating the lunisolar and solar year, one cycle ends, and another begins.
So how do you choose a word, words or phrase of the year?
First, why choose a Word of the Year?
It sets an intention so that every action you take for an entire year has some meaning behind it and it keeps you on track to deliver on your dreams.
This could also be an alternative to goal setting.
Every decision, idea, thought and action you take will be based on this word and if the thing you are about to do is in alignment.
There are times when we stray off the path, because of someone or something else’s desires seem more important than your own. This serves no one!
5 Steps to choose your Word of the Year?
What has happened in 2022? Think of the good, bad and indifferent. List it all and take your time to summarise.
What is your vision for the year ahead? What would you like to achieve? Personally and professionally and what will it all look like.
Now you see what you want / would love to achieve, how will this make you feel. Journal on what it is like when you have accomplished all the things in your Vision.
4. 3-5 words
Choose between 3 and 5 words and sift through them and work out which one is the most motivational word for you based on steps 1,2,3.
You have reflected, envisioned, felt and now you need to become. Become the person who has already achieved the things in your vision.
Let me know how you get on with choosing the word for 2023 and what it means to you and please share your word/words and your why.
When we share our truth and are witnessed, magic happens!
My Word of the Year is…
You can read more about it by clicking on the image below. It will take you to our Instagram Account – www.instagram.com/koogar.co.uk.
Energy. Life force. Drive. Spirit – What are these things?
According to ancient science, Aether is known as the 5th Element or Quintessence.
The meaning of Quintessence (taken from merriam-webster.com);
: the fifth and highest element in ancient and medieval philosophy that permeates all nature and is the substance composing the celestial bodies
: the essence of a thing in its purest and most concentrated form
: the most typical example or representative
“The energy of the mind is the essence of life.” ― Aristotle
Aether, in Greek means, pure, fresh or clear sky.
The 5th Element is also known as:
As we move through our day, we send energy into the world and we receive energy back.
Our minds, bodies, businesses and spirits are composed of energy, which vibrates out and is felt by others.
Are you in the right energy?
More importantly, is your business in the right energy?
I believe that your business is its own entity.
Created by you with parts of your own energy, thoughts, feelings, beliefs and fears, and because you work with/co-create with your clients, your business mixes your energy and your clients energy together, creating itself.
Be conscious of and pay attention to the energy you’re release.
Be that through your writing, video, designing images for social, speaking out loud, how you feel and most importantly through your thoughts!
What kind of vibes are you (and your business) giving off to potential clients?
How can you change the energy if you need to?
5 ways to change up, raise your vibrations and give off an energy that attracts people to you:
- Be Kind and Compassionate – not only to the people around you but to yourself. Being kind can sometimes be seen as being weak, because you have compassion, empathy, understanding and see the world and people in a different way. Being kind is a gift so are not fortunate to have. Use that gift to your advantage because people will remember you by it for the right reasons.
- Get into Nature – see the world as she really is and tap into the calmness she gives off. Taking a walk or even just sitting in your garden can change your energy within seconds. Watching the trees sway in the breeze, hearing the birds, smelling the flowers, feeling the grass in between your toes is grounding and brings you back to centre.
- Journal – about your feelings, thoughts, goals, aspirations, business, money, clients and anything you need to express. The pen is mightier than you know. Being able to express everything unapologetically is liberating. It provokes mindfulness, a new sense and understanding of self, wants and needs. A completely different perspective that helps you think and move through the blocks you may have.
- Find your Tribe – be with people who lift you, challenge you, inspire, motivate, cheer you on and celebrate you. Being with people who get you, that you can speak freely, open up to, cry or be vulnerable with is an amazing experience. They are able to see you in all your glory and want you to succeed, help you, give you ideas and a sense of purpose.
- Reconnect with what you would love – instead of worrying, doubting and second guessing. Instead of thinking about the negative, flip the grey sky and shadows into blue sky’s and sunshine. What would you love to do, to be, to have, to hold, to see, to experience. Write it all down and keep it close so that you are able to tap into it when you are feeling low.
Marketing is emotional
The energy that you bring to anything you do, will be seen, heard and felt more than you know.
Marketing is emotional!
It brings fears, doubts, ideas, creativity, thoughts, suggestions, curiosity, anger and happiness.
It brings every emotion you can imagine!
The question is, what energy are you bringing into your business today and everyday moving forward?
Artwork taken from the Energy Wild Card, from The Marketing Oracle Card Deck and designed by @hellomae_art
Customer Experience is the new place to show your difference!
89% of companies say, Customer Experience is the new competitive battlefield, and that’s not a battle you want to lose!
It’s never been about technology and which platform(s) you are on.
It’s about your customers and their feelings, it’s about psychology.
Customer Experience isn’t just carried out once you have the customer, it’s there from the first step of their journey with you.
What is CX, Customer Experience?
Customer Experience is a totality of cognitive, affective, sensory, and behavioural consumer responses during all stages of the consumption process including pre-purchase, consumption, and post-purchase stages. (Taken from Wikipedia)
Which means, every touch point your customers (potential, new and current) encounter need to take into account your customers feelings, thoughts, understanding and acceptance of your brand and how they interact with you.
If you want more engagement, you need to create content that sparks engagement.
To get more shares, you must create content, experiences, products and services that are shareable.
For more comments, you should start a conversation.
Creating an experience isn’t just about creating content but getting the reader to do something because of what they have read, watched, listened to and consumed.
To sustain your business growth and have loyal customers, creating a customer experience help you keep clients for longer and encourages brand ambassadors and love.
How do you create a Customer Experience?
Answer these questions to create an amazing customer experience for your audience;
- Create a Customer Experience Vision (C.E.V) – What does it look like to work with you? How can you see your customers coming into your world? What needs to happen? What skills do you need to learn? What needs to change or be amended?
- Understand who your people are and what they want from collaborating with you – Knowing everything about your people is important when it comes to customer journey. Understanding their feelings, beliefs, whims, thoughts, decisions, fears and more, equips you you speak to them in their language.
- How do your people discover you? – Ask yourself, how did your last 3 clients find you? Were they recommended, was it LinkedIn or did they come to an event you ran? How do they discover you and what are they actually looking for?
- Spark an emotional connection – When you get a new client, I’m sure you create an emotional connection with them by asking questions and wanting to learn about the problem you are here to solve. Get to know them, listen (without wanting to answer but to hear what they have to say) and be interested in them, as they are in you!
- What is the best way to engage with them? – How do you engage with your clients? Do you speak regularly, find out how they are and what they are up to? Do you keep a log of this information?
- Capture customer feedback before, during and after their time with you – Do you survey your customers and check in with them? Ask them how they are getting on or what more they need from you (if anything). Gathering feedback enables you to not only be attentive but be able to anticipate their next move. Being able to answer the questions they have in their head before they know they have the question.
- Can you improve upon your delivery of your product/service? – When was the last time you updated your system or processes of taking on new clients? Is it in your head or written down? How do you know if it has been improved? What are you measuring against?
Customer experience (like marketing) is an area that needs constant nurturing and care.
Review these questions every 6 months to see how your customer loyalty has improved as well as the retention or recommendations and income.
With a greater focus from you on your customer experience strategy, you will see a positive impact on your customer loyalty, higher retention rates and an increased revenue growth!
Because of what you are about to create, they (your customers; potential, new and current) will want to share you and not keep you for themselves.
Have you watched Bridgerton?
I’m not going to lie… I’m a little late to the game and have only just started watching it. Now on Episode 6 and WOW!
It wasn’t what I expected and I love it for many reasons.
I’m a movie buff and love the cinematography, sound and of course the stories, but what I love about Bridgerton the most is the diversity and the unexpected twists it keeps producing.
How people speak, the vibrancy and colour in every scene, the costumes and music is fabulous.
But what I really wanted to talk about was the love.
You may have noticed that Daphne didn’t go for the obvious choice, she went after something that was just outside her reach, something that some didn’t believe was possible and stuck to her guns when it came to marrying for love.
Life is short
If there was ever a moment to follow your passion and do something that matters to you, that moment is now.
Figuring out what you’re passionate about is what keeps you going when things get a little tough. However, trying to figure out exactly what you love to do can be challenging.
The current climate is testing us all right now.
People are exhausted, a little absent-minded (due to our environments and the new things we must do), bored, frustrated and longing for the life we used to have.
I get it
So how can you add colour, music into your life or change the way you speak to yourself or others?
Your environment is one of the most influential things in your life and because it is not “normal” right now, things feel difficult.
Here are a few things to rekindle your passion with what you do:
- Try new things – what have you always wanted to do and never had the time? I have personally signed up for a few new courses. Jungian Archetypes and Customer Experience are two that I’m doing at the weekends.
Or get more creative.
- Rearrange, change or add to your environment – your desk, office, home, garden, inbox. Add some colour, music to your space and make it uplifting and a place you enjoy being.
- Stay true to you – this is about setting and sticking to boundaries. You know that when you cross them, things take a turn for the worst. So, stand your ground and be you!
- Forget about the money – when you fixated on it, want, need or are desperate for it, it stays away for longer. When you are in your zone genius and doing what you love, the money will flow to you!
- Change the way you speak to yourself (and others) – stop with the negative, comparison, bitching, moaning or anything else that is not positive and coming from a place of love.
Words (spoken or unspoken) are more powerful than you think.
Setting an intention and coming from a place of love, will put you in a different frame of mind, things will become easier, you become more grateful and can push through anything when you realign to your passions.
You are worth it!
Forget Marketing, Think Alignment! What I mean by this, is to have everything working as you want it to; your business, getting great clients, making more money, feeling good…
It is all about alignment and putting things in the right order.