What a wall of feedback to walk into after leaving the ladies loo!
The woman who delivered this piece of information with a loud voice and tone that needed to be heard by people within the vicinity, was clearly outspoken and wanted to give me her opinion, without me actually asking for it.
This happens to me quite a lot.
Let me Set the Scene…
This was back in 2012, I had been a speaker for a few years and it was my first conference with over 100 people, happening in North Wales for the hospitability, food and drink and local businesses in the area.
My presentation at the time was all about Social Media, where I played a video to give context to what I was about to share. The soundtrack to that video was “Right Here, Right Now” by Fat Boy Slim and I became known as the Fat Boy Slim speaker. The AV guy turned it up and the music spilled out into the rest of the hotel.
I even remember what I was wearing on the day.
Floral jacket, cream top and black trousers with Black Hologram (Limited Edition) Addidas Shell Toe, the same trainers I wore to London and won my first £50,000 contract.
Anyway, back to this statement.
“I thought you would be shit…”
You don’t look much, she carried on… I thought you would be dull and not really know anything.
I stood in awe whilst witnessing this person throwing her opinions, judgement and condensing tone at me, later to find out that she was in “marketing” also.
There are a few lessons in this journal…
- Don’t judge a book by its cover – In this conference, I was an unknown headline speaker brought in by the Business Engagement & European Project Manager of a Welsh College, where I worked for as a Digital Marketing Lecturer. I do know I look young and have many people compliment me on “starting my business when I was in nappies” or saying “you don’t look old enough”. I’ve also had over the years… “you’re not just a pretty face” and someone has even said to me “you’fre lying, you’ve never done all of that”.
- Recognise someone ability – As bold as this person was, it took a lot to come up to someone she didn’t know, saw as a threat and in a round about way say that you were really good. When you see someone delivering and they have wowed you, go and tell them, because they will have worked exceptionally hard to do what they have just done.
- Show up unapologetically you – I’ve never been one for heels, skirts or what could be classes as the normal female professional attire. Wearing my Shell Toe enabled me to move the way I needed to, helped me feel comfortable in my own skin and helped me understand that it doesn’t matter what I wear, what matters is how I deliver and for me to be the best version of me. I need to be me.
- Receive feedback in all the ways it is given – Feedback is exactly that. I listened to what she had to say and thanked her for her feedback. In the next breath, I asked if she would be so bold as to create a video testimonial for me to say the exact words I’ve shared with you… “I though you would be shit…”
- People will underestimate you – When you are not normal (as in looks) or don’t fit in, you may not get the breaks or opportunities as others do, but when you do, show them how amazing you are.
This year (2023), I’ve spoken at a few conferences, business events, facebook groups, inside mastermind groups and memberships. One of the most recent places was a Mastermind Group and after I had finished, there was a break for the delegates to freshen up, grab a coffee and chat with others in the room before we carried on.
He said, she said…
The leader of this Mastermind said to me… “Well, I didn’t expect that… I actually though you wouldn’t be very good…”. I chuckled and he replied… “Why do you laugh?”.
I said, “it’s not the first time someone has underestimated me and thought I’m a young girl, whose only just learnt marketing from my bedroom and don’t really know what I’m talking about”. And instantly, I remembered this lady who said… “I thought you would be shit…”
He replied… I didn’t mean it like that, I just didn’t expect much. I made loads of notes, my team did too and think we need to work with you ourselves.
“At the very moment when people underestimate you is when you can make a breakthrough” ― Germany Kent
Being underestimated is usually based on part of your personality type and happens when someone is perceived to be younger than the others or has not had a chance to concretely proven themselves, yet.
Know that not everyone sees you…
And this is OK.
It means you need to work a little harder to show your difference, keep showing up and ask for opportunities. Most importantly, at all costs, show them what you have to offer.
I’ve been in business for 17 years this year and I have lost a lot of work due to not looking the part, people’s assumptions and opinions of me, including people thinking I haven’t achieved what I have to the point where I even started doubting myself.
However, when you keep going because it’s part of who you are and you know what you have to say is worth saying you start to get different comments.
At an international event I spoke at this year (Bermuda), a member of the cohort had heard me speak on Zoom 6 months prior. This time, we were in the same room and she said…
“You’ve surpassed my expectations; I want to work with you” and so we are…
A review I got from the conference in Wales…
“Amanda is a master at her craft. I first met her when I sat in the audience and watched her give a spellbinding presentation about the types and benefits of social media – and was so impressed by the practicality and depth of her knowledge that I immediately asked her to develop and deliver a series of two day master-classes on Digital Marketing and Social as part of the programme portfolio for my Executive Education.
Those sessions went on to become some of the most highly rated and popular of our courses and several participants went on to engage Amanda personally as their Marketing Coach – with fantastic results.” – Bangor Management Centre
The moral of the story is…
Be you, unapologetically.
Because it nourishes you and brings you opportunities you never knew you could receive.
People will underestimate you, assume things about you, give opinion and throw judgements even when they have no clue who you are, you’re experience or what you stand for.
So, you might as well be the version that keeps you true, your values real and helps you find your edge.
Feel free to share any feedback, stories or interesting opinions you have received by leaving a comment below.
THE RIGHT PEOPLE : Who are they and how do you get in front of them?
There are customer-centric strategies that can work for you to navigate the world of entrepreneurship with a focus on serving your audience while being mindful of your visibility.
The fear of putting yourself out there is what is stopping you because you may be worried about what people will say, think or do because you are sharing your gifts with the world.
Getting in front of the right people for spiritual entrepreneurs and creating a customer-centric approach involves a combination of marketing strategies and a well-defined customer journey.
Here are 5 steps to help you achieve this, however…
Before you read this Journal Entry…
Before you read them, read them as if youre coming to them for the first time, NOT “I already know this”…
When youre in know-it-all energy, you learn nothing and miss opportunities!
1. Craft a Customer-Centric Vision:
Start by envisioning the kind of transformation you want to bring to your clients’ lives, how do you see your business once you have made it to the place you are dreaming about. Once you have this in your head (or on paper) put their needs and aspirations at the centre of your mission and then share it so that the people you want to work with can see something different within you and how your business works.
2. Define Your Unique Value Proposition:
Identify what sets you apart and allows you to highlight your distinctive strengths, skills and qualities that make you uniquely valuable in the spiritual entrepreneurship realm. Your uniqueness can be a magnet for those who resonate with your approach.
Understanding and articulating your Unique Selling Proposition (USP) is paramount in any competitive environment.
Your USP is what sets you apart from the crowd and it’s crucial for achieving success in various aspects of life, whether it’s in business or personal branding. By recognising what makes you stand out, you can tailor your efforts, marketing, and communication strategies to effectively convey your unique offering to your target audience.
This not only helps you gain a competitive edge but also allows you to align your passions and talents with your pursuits, leading to a more fulfilling and successful journey. So, knowing your USP is akin to knowing your compass in navigating the path to achievement and personal growth.
3. Understand Your Audience (Who are the Right People?):
Get to know your target audience intimately. What are their challenges, desires, and motivations? Use this understanding to create a magnetic customer journey.
This is an area I specialise in as most don’t REALLY know who the people are or what those people need to make a decision that you are the one.
4. Customer Journey Mapping:
Develop a customer journey that aligns with the needs and preferences of your audience. This journey should guide potential customers from awareness to conversion and advocacy.
Inside the Koogar Academy, you have access to masterclass that cover these elements, so you can get to your next level with your business, finances and your personal growth.
5. Create Valuable Content:
Craft content that provides valuable insights and solutions to your audience’s spiritual needs. This content can be in the form of blogs, videos, webinars, or podcasts.
By putting your customers at the heart of your business, creating a tailored customer journey and focusing on authentic, value-driven content, you can make a significant impact in the space you wish to own, even if you prefer a more subdued presence.
6. Community Building with the Right People:
No just anyone…
Create a supportive community around your brand. This can be a private Facebook group (like the Magnetic Marketing for Spiritual Entrepreneurs Fb Group) or a membership site (like the Koogar Academy) where your audience can connect and share their experiences, but more importantly, feel like they are part of something bigger.
Being a part of something bigger is an essential aspect of human existence, as it provides a sense of purpose, connection, and fulfilment.
7. Leverage Testimonials:
Encourage satisfied clients to share their success stories and experiences. Genuine testimonials can magnetise new customers especially when they share the real results. Sometimes it’s not about more. More money or more clients, it’s about how they feel now compared to what they were feeling.
Vulnerability in sharing where people REALLY versus what you think people want to her is more powerful!
8. Network with Like-Minded Entrepreneurs:
Partner with other spiritual entrepreneurs who have a more visible presence or others who also want to make an impact as much as you. Collaborative efforts can expose your brand to a wider audience and help the person you are collaborating with also. The Trinity of the Win – A win for you, a win for them and a win for the universe.
9. Empower Your Audience:
Focus on empowering your audience to take control of their spiritual journeys. When you can provide the right people with the tools and guidance to achieve their goals instead of making them be dependent on you. Empowering your audience is a fundamental aspect of effective communication and leadership. When you empower those you interact with, you provide them with the tools, knowledge and the confidence for them to make informed decisions and take ownership of their own lives.
This not only fosters a sense of autonomy and self-worth, as well as cultivating trust and loyalty. Empowered individuals are more likely to engage actively, contribute their unique perspectives and collaborate with you by sharing and commenting. In the realm of education, business or any social interaction, empowering your audience can lead to innovation, resilience and a more harmonious environment.
It’s a powerful and essential means to inspire growth, positive change, and a shared sense of purpose.
10. Measuring Impact, Not Visibility:
Shift your focus from being highly visible to creating a positive impact. Celebrate the transformations and growth your clients experience with you and because of you. Don’t take away the fact that they have done the work or shroud it with “they couldn’t have done it without me”.
Instead celebrate what they are achieving with them so others can see HOW you are impacting those that work with you and the results they are getting because of it the way they are now impacting the world.
It’s all about the ripple effect!
Your magnetic energy will draw those who resonate with your message and are seeking genuine transformation and guidance.
If you would like to work with me to learn how to get the right people to come to you, let’s have a conversation.
P.S. If this resonates, I’d love to invite you to join me over in the Magnetic Marketing for Spiritual Entrepreneurs Fb Group for insights, suggestions and ideas to help you get in front of the right people or book an Unearthing Session if you’d like to see how becoming magnetic will work for you and your business.
In a world where business often revolves around profits and competition, there’s a rising wave of entrepreneurs seeking to build ventures that align with their core values.
These spiritual entrepreneurs like you and I, are on a mission to create businesses that not only thrive financially but also nourish their souls.
Staying True to Yourself
Here’s why staying true to your values as a spiritual entrepreneur is not just essential but transformational:
- Authenticity and Integrity: Your values are the foundation of your business. When you align your venture with your core beliefs, you radiate authenticity and integrity. This authenticity resonates with customers and partners who share similar values, creating a strong and loyal community.
- Sustainability: A values-driven business often has a sustainability focus. Whether it’s adopting eco-friendly practices, supporting local communities, or reducing waste, such businesses contribute positively to the planet and society, leaving a lasting impact beyond profits.
- Fulfilment and Purpose: Pursuing a business that reflects your values can be deeply fulfilling. It provides a sense of purpose that transcends the pursuit of financial success. This sense of purpose fuels your motivation and resilience in the face of challenges.
- Wellness and Balance: The hustle and grind of the business world can take a toll on your physical and mental health. When you operate in alignment with your values, you’re more likely to create a work-life balance that promotes wellness and reduces stress.
- Positive Impact: Spiritual entrepreneurs are often driven by a desire to make a positive impact on the world. By following your values, you can design products or services that address societal needs, contributing to a better future.
- Longevity: A values-based business is more likely to stand the test of time. Trends may come and go, but core values remain constant. This longevity not only benefits you but also the legacy you leave behind.
So, how can you ensure you don’t lose yourself in the hustle of business while staying aligned with your values?
- Clarify Your Values: Take time to reflect on your core values. What truly matters to you? What principles guide your life? Once you have clarity, integrate these values into your business’s mission and vision.
- Set Boundaries: Establish clear boundaries between work and personal life. Prioritize self-care and make time for activities that nourish your spirit, such as meditation, yoga, or spending time in nature.
- Regular Self-Reflection: Periodically assess whether your business practices align with your values. Be open to adjusting when needed to stay on your path.
- Seek Support: Surround yourself with a community of like-minded individuals. Join the Magnetic Marketing for Spiritual Entrepreneurs Fb Group and connect with mentors, peers or a group that share your values. They can provide guidance, inspiration, and a sense of belonging.
- Practice Mindfulness: Incorporate mindfulness practices into your daily routine. Mindfulness can help you stay present, reduce stress, and make decisions in alignment with your values.
You have the power to create a business that not only prospers but also brings you joy, purpose, and a sense of fulfilment.
What are your Core Values?
Embracing your values and staying true to yourself on this entrepreneurial journey is the key to building a business that feels good for you and makes a positive impact on the world.
It’s not just a business; it’s a sacred journey of self-discovery and transformation!
Leave your top 3 values as a comment or comment over on our Instagram Account.
There is and will always be a mix up with marketing terms – funnels, customer journey, strategy, tactics… and so on.
Especially around, what they meant when they came out vs what they mean now.
Marketing changes all the time, as you know. What I mean by this is the activities, techniques and strategies. However, the essence of marketing is the same as before and is needed now more than ever.
The essence being Communication at its purest form.
A question I’m asked regularly is around systems that work!
Having the right funnel, system or process to convert clients is essential, however there are so many to choose from. All are needed, however, at different times, for different reasons.
The devil is in the detail…
FUNNEL VS CUSTOMER JOURNEY… What’s the difference?
Are they the same?
Which do you need?
Let me tell you…
Marketing terms are banded around all the time, without explanation, which is why marketing can become confusing.
Let me change your perspective and look at this from a different point of view.
With regards to a funnel and a journey, the process is the same, in terms of you are leading people in a direction you want to take them, but the context is different.
A funnel (sales or marketing) focuses on getting new leads to the purchase point and then starts again.
It is very focused on the lead, acquisition and automation elements, not the human.
A customer journey starts before the human/avatar/target audience turns into a lead and stays with them all the way through.
Even after the person has experienced you, your product, or service until they leave, are retained or reconnected with.
The customer journey doesn’t end.
A Customer Journey is a Cycle ∞
I called it an Eco-System.
It lasts the life cycle of your client (including before they know you exist) and is customer-centric, ensuring the person you are about to onboard has an exceptional experience with you.
Of course, you need a funnel inside your journey because the sale is what helps your business grow and allows you to make more impact.
The journey is the detailed path your customer will take based on their needs. Allowing them to choose, which leads to a better quality client who will stay for longer and will refer or recommend you on.
I liken to them to the breadcrumbs Hansel and Gretel leave… leading the right people to you so they turn into raving fans!
The journey breadcrumbs allow your audience to follow you in a certain way that allows them to make their own decision about you.
The funnel is based on your needs and what you want the customer to do, which is to buy from you AND is a very small part of getting and keeping your clients.
If you are looking for quality over quantity, a steady stream of interested people and to get MORE awareness than before, the customer journey will give you exactly that and will help you build a 5 Star Business at the same time.
When you allow your people to make their own decision instead of you “trying to convince or persuade them”, they will be a better client.
Don’t take your peoples power (or decision journey) away…
Convincing and persuading will take their power away.
To make an impact, we need to empower, inspire and motivate our people.
If you’d like to be seen as the expert or deliver the best service to your clients, this is the way forward for you!
Amazing… Leave a comment with your questions below, as I am more than happy to answer them for you.
No question is a silly question. Ask away!
A word of the year has become an exercise taken up by those wanting to be intentional and on purpose with what they are looking at achieve and moving into the next cycle.
Whether your year ends on the traditional date on 31st of December, Solstice, Equinox or on Chinese New Year celebrating the lunisolar and solar year, one cycle ends, and another begins.
So how do you choose a word, words or phrase of the year?
First, why choose a Word of the Year?
It sets an intention so that every action you take for an entire year has some meaning behind it and it keeps you on track to deliver on your dreams.
This could also be an alternative to goal setting.
Every decision, idea, thought and action you take will be based on this word and if the thing you are about to do is in alignment.
There are times when we stray off the path, because of someone or something else’s desires seem more important than your own. This serves no one!
5 Steps to choose your Word of the Year?
What has happened in 2022? Think of the good, bad and indifferent. List it all and take your time to summarise.
What is your vision for the year ahead? What would you like to achieve? Personally and professionally and what will it all look like.
Now you see what you want / would love to achieve, how will this make you feel. Journal on what it is like when you have accomplished all the things in your Vision.
4. 3-5 words
Choose between 3 and 5 words and sift through them and work out which one is the most motivational word for you based on steps 1,2,3.
You have reflected, envisioned, felt and now you need to become. Become the person who has already achieved the things in your vision.
Let me know how you get on with choosing the word for 2023 and what it means to you and please share your word/words and your why.
When we share our truth and are witnessed, magic happens!
My Word of the Year is…
You can read more about it by clicking on the image below. It will take you to our Instagram Account – www.instagram.com/koogar.co.uk.