What is Copywriting?
Ever listen to radio advertisements whilst eating your breakfast? Ever noticed the adverts in the paper you read on the commute to work? Ever notice the bill boards on your way into the office? Yes? Well, a copywriter is responsible for all of the words you hear and see through a variety of mediums. Whether via radio or magazine advertisements, an article you read in a brochure or the content on a website – behind the scenes of such projects is a creative individual equipped with pen, paper, a computer and ideas.
It is a copywriter’s job to get inside the minds of your customers and write in the style that best appeals to them. This means that they only include the most relevant material when writing.
Many people think writing any promotional material either about their business, a new product or writing a page on their website is simple. However, although you may be the best person to ask about your business this does not directly translate through your writing. Many people cannot be objective when writing material for their website, flyers, brochures etc and can appear to be very technical, struggling to effectively promote their business or product to their target audience.
So, whether you are thinking about producing flyers, brochures or a website it is always best to consider getting a copywriter to produce the wording as, in the long run, the effect of good copy is phenomenal.
How can it help your business?
- Good copy can effectively target your target audience/ make whatever you are promoting/selling (your business, product or service) appear extremely relevant to them/must have it.
- Ensure that the wording on any material you produce (whether it be offline marketing or online via a website/email marketing) is spelt correctly and is grammatically correct as search engines such as Google, do in fact pick up on such errors as spelling and grammar, which can negatively affect your rankings.
- Hiring a copywriter who specialises in SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) is hugely beneficial as they’ll be able to go through any copy you have produced or they have written and incorporate the most relevant key/buzz words on the page(s) of your website so you’ll be at the top of the rankings.
You may be the best person to talk to about your business; however, this may not translate through your writing. You may be wary about hiring a copywriter or see it as an unnecessary expense. However, the words displayed on your website, flyers, press releases and so on are extremely important as they are your message. Whatever you are trying to promote the words you use are the key, supported by your website design, logo etc. So before you dismiss the idea of hiring a professional copywriter think how effective they can make your messages, promotional or otherwise by:
- Writing like a journalist – Ensuring the ‘key points’ of information are obvious and not hidden in between a mouthful of pointless text.
- Short & Sweet – Using concise sentences to make your key points stand out, even when someone skims over the information, which many people do (think of how you read a newspaper or pick an article that looks like it’s worth reading).
- Accessible information – Making your information easily accessible to your clients /customers is a must! If they have to read through pages upon pages of text to find if you offer a guarantee or not, for example, then more often than not they won’t bother. Using bulleted lists is a perfect example of making information accessible.
- Accessible language – No matter what your business is your clients /customers will always just want to hear your proposals and ideas in terms they can understand so there’s no point in using jargon and technical terms as you’ll lose them. Remember it’s important not to isolate your clients /customers!
Please find a list of the copywriting services Koogar offers below:
- SEO Copywriting for websites
- Email Marketing Copy
- Offline Marketing Copy – press releases, articles, brochures, welcome packs, training manuals, flyers and much more.